Monday, October 11, 2010

The Plan of Life - September 2010


Life Happens and so it did, all phases of it were highlighted in the month of September.


We began the month with a beautiful wedding of our oldest daughter (see older blogs -Wedding).

****************************


Later in the month we flew to Cannonsburg, Pennsylvania

to spend time with our son, Stephen & Heather and family.

The two older boys, Taylor and Carson, got to spend the night with us at the hotel

and the boys joined us for swimming.


We got to watch our grandson, Carson, play "flag football"





and his brothers joined Carson for his 8th birthday party.





***********************


We got to attend our grandson, Parker's baby blessing.


*******************************


At the age of 8 Carson was old enough to choose to be Baptized.

His father, holding the Priesthood authority, Baptized and Confirmed Carson a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. He also bestowed the "Holy Ghost" the gift Jesus promised to give to those who have faith, repentance, and are Baptized in His Name. We were able to attend and witness this grand occasion.



Just prior to our weekend in Pennsylvania we got word that my dad was dying and that we should prepare ourselves for his passing. We gathered together at his bedside. Before I left I was able to give him a hug and kiss and tell him "goodbye" and he patted my shoulder and gave a slight smile and whispered goodbye.

I felt alright if he passed away soon, knowing that I was leaving the next day for Pennsylvania.
After our return on the way home from the airport we stopped in to see how dad was doing. Mom let me know that there had been a couple of times when they thought he had breathed his last but then he'd gasp another breath. His breaths were labored and he struggled to remain with us. Mom said he was waiting for me to return.

Over the weekend a lot of his children, grandchildren and great grandchildren had the opportunity to visit him, express their love,


and say goodbye. Though in a semi-conscious state he was able to respond and smile when they arrived, especially when Lori brought him his latest great grandchild.




****************************

On Tuesday, September 28, 2010 his rhythmic breathing was no longer strained or labored but peaceful and smooth.

Then in the afternoon, with his sweetheart for over 65years, and eternal companion by his side, at age 85,


my dad, graduated from his earthly mission to return to his Heavenly Father and to be reunited with his parents and brothers & sisters.



The Spirit of the Lord was strong and the feeling of comfort was present.
(see www.eternalgraduation.blogspot.com for highlights of his funeral & graveside services, remarks from his children, his life sketch, and pictures of his family.)

Life is about experiences and we had it all with birth (baby blessings), baptism, wedding, and death.

The Lord told us in 2 Nephi 2:25 Adam fell that men (mankind) might be: and men are, that they might have joy." And that joy comes in knowing and believing in Jesus Christ and His Plan of Happiness which gives faith and hope for today and for an everlasting tomorrow.

2 Nephi 2:26-28:And the Messiah cometh in the fullness of time, that he may redeem the children of men from the fall. And because that they are redeemed from the fall they have become free forever, knowing good from evil; to act for themselves and not to be acted upon....

And they are free to choose liberty and eternal life through the great Mediator of all men ... I would that ye should look to the great Mediator, and hearken unto his great commandments: and be faithful unto his words, and choose eternal life, according to the will of his Holy Spirit;"

I know I'll be reunited with my father again and that we are an eternal family through the sealing power of God.

1 comment:

  1. So glad you were back for this very special occasion. :o) I remember my Dad's passing several years ago as being a very special experience that I felt I had shared with my Dad. Dads are the best. He told me once, 'it didn't matter how old I got or how many kids and grandkids I had, you will always be my little girl' I like that idea and treasure it.
    Much love to you and yours. Especially your Mom.

    ReplyDelete