
When I was a teenager we wrote our goals for our future - 1 yr., 5 years, 10 years, 20 etc.

I did pretty good.

I had that I would become a nurse, marry in the Temple, become a mom all before I was age 40.

That seemed so totally fulfilling and a long ways off that I didn't plan any further.

By 40 I had accomplished my goals but then what? I had never looked beyond.

I asked my dad what was I going to do now, he said raise your kids. I said of course but what else.

What was I going to do with the rest of my life? I didn't really have any time consuming hobbies and I didn't like going to social clubs.

I made scrapbooks/Book of Remembrances for the kids and I enjoyed reading mystery and historical novels.
I had sewed a lot of clothes, costumes, and tie quilts over the years. I enjoyed serving in leadership positions whether at church or in the PTA. I liked doing meaningful things for and with other people.

Most of all I loved to travel and did a lot with my husband.

So at 45 I went back to school to advance my nursing options and went to work.

By the time I was 50, I was working full time, traveling when I could, and enjoying my new roll as a grandmother.

Still the thought came to me I still have half my life ahead of me and what am I going to do with it.

Fortunately I was able to serve on two wonderful full time missions for our Church - first in San Francisco, California (Menlo Park-Stanford University area)

and the other Australia.

These were so fulfilling because I was traveling and serving.

I was meeting new people, helping people, and sharing the joys of the Lord's work where ever I went.

Between those missions I served in the Bountiful Temple and that was a spiritual high. Now another decade has passed and I look to the future thinking I've got at least 1/3rd of my life still to live what shall I do.

I enjoy those times when I can be with my children and grandchildren but I wouldn't want a regular babysitting job.


I know many grandmothers who are and I praise them for their devotion and service to their family.


I love my grandchildren but I like being the one to spoil them not have to raise them.

I would of course if I had to but it is so fun to have your grandchildren excited to see you when you aren't their everyday caretaker.


So now that I am back I am again contemplating what I'm going to do with the rest of my life....but I'll have to think about that later because we're off to San Francisco to be the luncheon speakers at the Menlo Park Family History Conference.
Love the pictures of grandchildren and when you were young.You did do pretty good in fact you did your best. I admire all that you have done in your life, what an example you are to all of us.
ReplyDelete